Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wishin' and Hopin'

I was thinking today "how can one let go of those who are very dear to them?" 

I look back upon time, as far back as I can remember, and think of moments that still bring a tear to my eye. For instance, I remember my last day at American Express. That was four years ago. I remember sitting in that conference room looking at my Manager Vaibhav Dutt and all my friends around the table. Surprisingly, I still remember every single moment of that day. I haven't been able to stay much in touch with them ever since, just an occasional call, maybe once a year. 

I was asked to say something about everyone in that room that day. I still remember exactly what I said about all of them. They were dear to me, they were my friends. I remember looking at Shubhebdu Mathur and saying, "he's a very hard working guy. I've seen him toil, put in his best, learn as much as he could in the least amount of time, being proffesional yet friendly with one and all. And despite all that he has had to take from all the leadership, he will one day prove his mantle. I believe in him." I remember because I remember the tear in my eye while saying this. I still feel the pain of being separated from the one's I cared about.  I broke down bitterly on my way back from work that day. I know exactly why. 

The feeling of being torn from your own self, it's like leaving behind your soul, your memories, your emotions, and walking away. The thought of never being able to see someone whom you've been with all the while breaks you. I pride myself on being practical in all manners possible, but somehow, every once in a while, my emotions take control, and they remain as memories that I'll never forget. We build bonds, and walk away from them.

Your first job, the joy in your parents' eyes, the first pay-check, the first love, the dearer than life freindships, the madness of doing the most unimaginable things as teenagers. The moments that I look back upon now are so precious, so alive, that I still feel the pain.

At sometime, we all have to let go. I understand that completely. Our parents, our brothers and sisters, our freinds, our loved ones, all of them. And you know what is the most painful moment? When you have to walk away. When you have to wave that final goodbye, shake hands, hug, look in to the eyes, and wish them the best. That's what makes you remember. 

I think of the people I've worked with, I think of my freinds back in Delhi, I remember my college and school days, I remember my trips to Pune, and all I can think of and pine for are to go back to those moments. Every once in a while I happen to look at my old pictures, walk down the memory lane, think of the people I used to care about. Unfortunately, I don't know where most of them are, but I still remember small details, that no one might. 

A movie here, a boozing session there, those cold Delhi nights, those warm hugs. There's a rush of thoughts in my head, like a cinema roll flowing by. Vivid images of my past, coming back to me in a wave, and moving me to tears, yet again. Only if I could hold on to them, only if I could go back and tell everyone how much they mean to me, only if I could look into those eyes one more time and tell them that I'll always be there. How many times do I have to let go of those that I love, those who're the most precious to me, those I can't live without? How many times do I have to convince myself that life's all about change, all about moving on? 

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun 
But the wine and the song like the seasons have all gone...

3 comments:

Benaam Badnaam said...

oh...i was thinking maybe u had done something like jim carrey did in liar liar...the boardroom scene

yes leaving ppl behind is painful...

but as long as u can look back and smile..its still ok

Gaurav Jha said...

Hey, thanks for visiting. The boardroom scene eh. yeah right. I wouldn't have to wait for the next 30 mins before leaving. My manager would've been happy to chuck me out right then. :)

AshenGlow said...

:) What i really like about the way you write..
Say, whatever emotion you are in when you write your thoughts down, i tell you.. they come out as so very frank and honest.. I literally feel as if you are saying all this to me over the phone... now that you are there and im here :)
And yeah, as for letting go.. it feels you are trying to take out a piece of your own flesh.. hurts that bad...
But all wounds heal right? And thats what matters. Isnt it a cycle? so you are obviously going to face that 'letting go' situation again in your life. But obviously, you shall fight back with equal or probably greater might again. And the void of what you left behind would be filled with something new.. sometimes even better.. That's what life's all about nai? And as you correctly said.. you look back and reminice.. why do you do that? Because you were able to let go. Because now , from where you are, you can look back and realise you could do it. Because those who cant, are doomed to live in that punctuation till eternity..

You have to let go, buddy, because you CAN let go. And its not going anywhere.. its going to come back right back into your hands.. Maybe in another form..


Am really proud of you, dear... :)
Ashen